A letter from Donald Miller
After six years, Blue Like Jazz the movie will hit theaters on Friday, April 13th. That fact alone is nothing short of a miracle. By now, you’ve heard the story of how this movie almost didn’t happen. Thousands of people have joined together to get us here, so it’s time to finish strong.
HERE’S WHAT’S HAPPENING OVER THE NEXT FEW DAYS:
• Our initial theater offering is great for an independent film. We’ll open Blue Like Jazz in about 150 theaters - from NY to LA and dozens of cities in between. But we hope to grow this base to cover the entire country in the weeks that follow.
• To open on more screens in more markets we must be successful on opening weekend. If Blue Like Jazz doesn’t have a strong showing on opening weekend, it will be pulled from theaters.
• Since theaters will only expand the movie if we have a strong weekend. We need about 1,000 people to buy tickets on opening weekend in all 150 theaters. That’s obviously a lot of tickets but it’s doable with some help from you.
• If we are successful in achieving this goal, the phones of our distributor (Roadside Attractions) will be ringing off the hook with theater chains wanting to show Blue Like Jazz in new markets.
SO HERE’S HOW WE CAN MAKE IT HAPPEN:
All our marketing efforts are now about SELLING TICKETS ONLINE. It’s time to step up and ask people to see this movie.
1. Rally the troops: We need every Kickstarter backer, every Civil Disobedience (street team) member and every one of the thousands of influencers who have already screened and loved the film to start encouraging friends to buy tickets.
2. Ask people to buy tickets: We’ve made it easy. If you go to www.bluelikejazztickets.com your friends and followers can find the theater in their area and buy tickets now.
• Tell people we will try to call them if they post a review: We are now 48 hours without sleep, and we will not be sleeping much this weekend. And in our tired state Steve Taylor and I are going to attempt to call everybody who posts a short review on Facebook or Twitter opening night. We love social media, but we have gotten hooked on making thousands of calls and talking to people one on one. No kidding. It may take us all night, but we are going to try our best to reach out to you and your friends personally. If you see the movie and like it, post a review!
• Spread the word: Share a link to www.bluelikejazztickets.com on Facebook today. Put it on your blog, spray paint it on the neighbor’s cat. Tweet it, sing it, spell it out by making yellow snow. Just tell everybody you know that they can buy tickets to the movie now.
Please forgive our enthusiasm. We have made this movie with you and for you, and we’re so pleased with how it’s turned out.
We believe this movie is important because it’s one of the few bridges in popular culture between the church and the world, between faith and doubt, and between authenticity and fear. We think this movie matters and we think it tells the truth and we, with you, believe that the truth will set people free.
So let’s continue the story:
1. See the film Friday night, April 13th.
2. Take as many people as possible with you.
3. Tell everybody you know about this movie.
4. Share how you felt about the film after you see it.
5. Change culture forever.
We are so grateful for you. We were lost but you found us. Our “thank you” is a good movie. We hope you like it.